Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
Problem with extending the spec
If a new condition is added and a new addon uses it, old AddonLoaders won't know about it and will not load the addon at all. What it SHOULD be doing is just loading it on startup to be safe.
X-LoadOn: combat X-LoadOn2: [priority=5] always X-LoadOn3: execute (lots of lua code here) X-LoadOn3.1: (more lua code here) X-LoadOn3.2: (even more lua code here) X-LoadOn4: event SOME_EVENT_NAME
Always allowing [ ] before the condition name allows global tweaks on all conditionals as applicable:
- priority, which takes an argument 1--9 for priority (1=highest) and makes addons load incrementally over time
The metadata fieldnames are generic in nature, so all future addonloaders will be able to scan them all and see if there's a setting type that they do not recognize. If so, they'll just load the addon immediately.
The LoadOnn.n approach allows all types of argument to scale to multiline in a generic way without hardcoding support for one specific type.
Additional benefit: a future UI that doesn't recognize a setting will still be able to show it as text
I think there is 3 kinds of load conditions :
- Simple conditions
- Always, in party, in raid, resting, at mailbox, at auction house, in combat...
- Simple conditions with arguments
- Instance, classes, levels, zones, slash commands,
- Complex conditions
- On event, or event purely lua-coded.
Moreover some addons may allow to delay their loading, depends on conditions or not.
I suggest to use one .TOC field for the simple conditions and another one for complex ones. And last a third field for delaying. Here some samples :
- Simple conditions :
X-LoadOn: AuctionHouse X-LoadOn: not Resting, Slash(/somecommand) X-LoadOn: Party, Instance(any) X-LoadOn: Instance(raid) and Class(mage,warlock)
The comma stands for "or". "and" and "not" are self-explicit.
- Delayed loading :
X-DelayLoadOn: Always X-DelayLoadOn: not Combat
- Complex conditions
X-LoadOnAdvanced: event(SOME_EVENT_NAME): some lua code X-LoadOnAdvanced: execute: some lua code
- How does this scale? You can't have multiple X-LoadOnAdvanced? And what if I want a delayed advanced? And what happens if I want a new type of conditional modifier (such as delayed), do we introduce more field types? (Back to the old problem, no?) --Mikk 16:23, 25 June 2007 (EDT)
- I'm actually wondering if a really advanced load condition shouldn't be handled by a standalone loader. For the new modifier, I have to think more about it :p --Adirelle 16:32, 25 June 2007 (EDT)
- Professions condition --Kergoth
- Instance condition with group type argument --Adirelle
- "On Bags" --Nymbia
How to do combined conditionals?
What if I'd like to do something along the lines of "If I'm in a raid, AND i'm level 70?"
- X-LoadOn: raid
- X-LoadOn2: [AND] level 70
- X-LoadOn3: somecompletelydifferentcondition
- X-LoadOn4: [AND] somethingelse
Doesn't extend that well with complicated AND/OR combos and whatnot but perhaps that should just be Execute territory? --Mikk 20:02, 24 June 2007 (EDT)